Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Glimpse into His Heart

Look at that sweet face.
Who would guess that an outgoing little boy like him would struggle in his heart with feeling all alone? A four year old should not have to worry about that. When you have lived with at least 4 different caregivers, your heart is hesitant to believe that this one will last.
We are constantly having to remind him that we are his Forever Family. Nothing will change that, not his behavior, not our moods. I actually have him say when he is struggling. "I belong to this family forever." I want him to speak truth about his life, not the lie that works its way into his heart that says, "this one won't last either."

At this point, he has been with us longer than he has been with anyone else. Each time we pick him up at school, each time we leave for a short trip and return, and each time we make a memory together as a family, it is another deposit we are making into his love and belonging account.

His class at school is talking about families. They each made a scrapbook page about themselves and their families. Yesterday, they talked about Moms, Dads, and Families. Here were Isaiah's comments:

-Daddy lets me play video games and helps me set them up.

-Mommy takes care of me.

And my favorite of all: Families stay together and you don't have to be alone.

That little sentence that came out of his mouth gives me a small glimpse into his heart and where he is. He is getting it. Slowly, but surely, he is getting it.

3 comments:

  1. Laura,

    It is so incredible that the Lord has revealed the beauty of belonging to Isaiah. It is bringing tears of joy to my eyes to read of the Lord's work in Isaiah's heart!

    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just beautiful Laura. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing that breaks my heart more than someone (especially a child) who conveys a feeling of aloneness - because I have struggled with that my entire life. There is something that breaks inside many adopted children who have experienced instability and uncertainty. You children are so blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete