Thursday, April 18, 2013

Breaking Down

Do you have those periods of time where it feels like everything is breaking?

On a physical, earthly level, that is happening at our house.

Since my trip to Hawaii,(have I mentioned that I went to Hawaii in February?) we have had one thing after another breaking.

It started with fans and doorknobs.  For some reason, our kids are really rough on box fans and doorknobs.  I feel like we are replacing them every other week.

Then, the spring in our garage door broke.

Then, our truck got hit in a hit and run accident.  (Thankfully, that one was paid for by the other person's insurance)

After that, our ice maker in our fridge overflowed with water pouring down into our basement.  Since that time, a month ago, our ice maker has not worked.

Last week, we found out that one of our credit cards was being used in Canada.  This person had a grand ole' time buying groceries, furniture, and several other random charges.  Thankfully, it was caught and dealt with by our credit card company.

Now, we are going on 2 weeks without consistent hot water.  Our hot water heater pilot light keeps going out.  We have had to arrange our showers, laundry, and dishwashing around relighting it and waiting 2 hours to have hot water available.  Rick researched and replaced a part that was the likely culprit(I love that he tries to fix it before calling someone.  Good job, honey!).  Unfortunately, that did not solve the problem.  Then, someone came to our house, "fixed" the problem for $120(that felt manageable), but once again it is not working.  I so don't want to replace that thing.  That is a painful purchase.  We'll see.

All of this to say that many of these things are just inconveniences.  People around the world survive without these things every day.  But, I have seen how accustomed to ice, hot water, a vehicle, a fan to cool, a garage to put my truck in, etc. I have become.  These things definitely make my life easier.

While my "things" are breaking all around me, I have seen many of the people in my life and around this country experience great loss and suffering over the last 3 months.  It feels almost unbearable, the weight of sin, the grief of death, the loss of everything this life has to offer.

It is so hard to make sense of it all and my general cry to God has been, "Come quickly, Lord Jesus!"  I know God has a plan.  I know that He is not surprised by any of these events.  It just hurts so much to see the suffering.  It brings about fear in the hearts of so many.  Then, today, God showed me these verses:

"Have no fear of sudden disaster
or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,
for the Lord will be at your side
and will keep your foot from being snared."
~Proverb 3:25-26

These words give me comfort in this time.  These words challenge me to strengthen my faith in God during the trials that I face and as I walk alongside those in my community and country who are facing trials.  I think the next verses are really cool because they take it to the next level.  I think we can get so caught up in the yuckiness all around us that it paralyzes us to act.  We can become so fearful for our own safety that we withdraw when God is giving us the perfect opportunity to reach out and share His love.  Look at the next two verses:

"Do not withhold good from those to whom it is due,
when it is in your power to act.  
Do not say to your neighbor, 
'Come back tomorrow and I'll give it to you'-
when you already have it with you."
~Proverbs 3:27-28

So, today, I pray, I seek, and I act in ways that I can to reach out and make a difference in the lives of those around me who are hurting so desperately.  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment