Thursday, December 29, 2011

OH. MY. GOODNESS.

Today was the first day I have ventured out since Christmas Eve.

Let's just say, "it was a mistake."

The day started with a visit to the dentist office with 6 kids.

Honestly, it went fairly well. Isaiah charmed some random lady into letting him play games on her phone.

We brought a DS for Laila to play. The appt. was for teeth cleanings for the 4 older kids. It lasted for about 1 1/2 hours, but I can't complain.

We left with return visits scheduled for 3 of them set up for a couple of weeks away, small cavities for 2 of them and sealants for another.

Then, we should have just gone home. I should have known better. I should have followed my gut.

Instead, I decided to take the 5 younger kids(Cody had plans) to the mall to return something for Lauren and let her pick something in its place.

Okay, I guess I just thought that by 4 days after Christmas, things would have settled down. I guess I thought that the promise of letting the kids use some of their Christmas money to eat at the food court would be enough motivation for patience and obedience on their part. Boy, was I wrong.

The mall was insanely busy. The 2 stores that we visited were loud with music blasting and crowded with people. Poor Lauren, I felt sorry for her having to shop in that environment. It was sensory overload for a couple of us.

Waiting in line at 3 different restaurants in the food court was cRaZy. Listening to a guy treat someone horribly at Chick-fil-a just about sent me over the edge. I HATE it when people in service positions are treated unkindly!! The girl was so patient and just responded with her usual, "my pleasure."

By the time we made it back to the truck, we were all a mess. Poor Abby was having a migraine. Isaiah and Laila definitely needed a nap. Sam was disappointed that he couldn't buy the stuffed rhino to add to his collection of like 100 other stuffed animals. Lauren felt bad(even though it wasn't her fault) for taking so long. I was exhausted.

We are now home, and I think I may wait several more days before I even attempt to go out again. Anything that needs to be returned can wait another week until the stores settle down. I can shop much easier with the 2 younger kids once the older ones go back to school. We can figure out a way to eat the food we have regardless of the weird meal combinations we may have to come up with to survive.

How does the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" become so "not wonderful" so fast?







No comments:

Post a Comment