Monday, January 21, 2013

"I Have a Dream, Too!"

At the kids' school, there is a program called "Titan Buddies."  It is where they partner an older student with a younger student to build a relationship with each other.  I really love the idea and have seen so much excitement in my kids over the time they get to spend with their buddies.  The older ones enjoy leading the younger ones and the younger ones feel really special having someone older pouring into them.  

My Sam has such a tender heart.  I love that about him.  Sam and his buddy worked on a project together this week.  They took the ideas in the Martin Luther King Jr. speech and added in their hopes and dreams for our country and the future.  I will put their words in bold italics.  I can't think of a better thing to share with you today:

"I Have a Dream, Too!"  
By Nick and Sam
I have a dream that one day this nation will help people in need.
I have a dream that one day this nation will be nice to black people.
I have a dream that one day people will give school supplies to people in need.
I have a dream that people will donate to the less fortunate.
I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day people will go to the less fortunate and give them hope.
I have a dream today.
I have a dream that one day people will be content with what they have and do not ask for more.
This is my hope and faith.  With this faith we will be able to be nicer.
This will be the day when people are nicer and give other people what they need.


It breaks my heart to think that less than a generation ago, our family could not exist as it does today.  I sometimes lay awake at night thinking of how I am going to explain our history to Isaiah and Laila.  No matter how I try to explain it, it won't make sense that their skin color could be a source of rejection in their lives.  I shudder to think of the discrimination they may face in their future.  

I dream of a better time. 

 I dream of equality.  

I dream of a future for ALL of my children!!

Thank you, Martin Luther King, Jr. for fighting for our future!

‎"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream that one day little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers. I have a dream today." 
Martin Luther King, Jr.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is in the 1st grade at TCA East and she loves her Titan Buddies!! :)

    ReplyDelete