Friday, May 30, 2014

Time away with Abba-Doo-Yah

 A few weeks ago, Abby had a field trip to the Denver Botanical Gardens.  I decided to join her class and then she and I stayed in Denver for an overnight together.  We were overdue for some mom/daughter time.  She is so helpful to me at home and so responsible with her school work.  I wanted to do something special for her.  It was also a great opportunity to have some good discussions that don't come easily in the day-to-day craziness that is our life.  
Abby loves flowers and gardening so this field trip was right up her alley
 It was good and we saw some pretty stuff, but we both agreed that one visit was enough
 When we lived in Dallas, we had a membership to the Arboretum.  I was expecting this one to be like the Dallas one.  Not so much.  
 My favorite plants were the indoor tropical ones

 These trees look like something from a Dr. Seuss book to me
We were very excited to be done with the field trip so we could do our own thing.  First, we headed to Trader Joe's.  Abby and Rick are gluten free, so I was hoping to find them some new, more affordable foods for them to eat.  It was a very successful trip.  I am so excited that we are getting one in Colorado Springs in the Fall!!  You can see we found a lot of good stuff!!  They have liked all of it!
 Then, we headed to the mall.  We walked around and got frozen yogurt
 After checking into our hotel(which we got for only $40 because of hotel reward points), we found a pizza place that served gf pizza.  Abby wasn't thrilled with how it tasted, so I ended up getting her Chipotle, too!
 That night, we hand some "spa time" in our room with nail painting,
 a movie
 and face masks
 Have I ever told you how much this girl can eat.  We have no idea where she puts it all.  She is gluten free and likes very little meat.  That makes it very hard to feed her.  She is always complaining that she is hungry.  My goal during this little outing was to keep her full and well fed.   I think I accomplished that goal.
 We found a breakfast place that served gf pancakes
 She had no problem downing the 4 pancakes and 2 big pieces of bacon!

The rest of our day was spent at the mall and other stores shopping.  She had some basic things she needed for summer.  We found some of those things.  I am finding shopping with my girls to be a big challenge these days.  They have very strong opinions on what they like and finding those things has not been easy.  I miss the days of hand-me-downs and me deciding what they wear.  It was so much easier and way cheaper.
  We ended our time with a late lunch at Chick-fil-a. 

I am so thankful we had this opportunity.  Getting quality time with the kids can be hard to do.  Sometimes, you just need to get away from everything in order to really get time together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment